5 Easter Pet Safety Tips: Avoid an Emergency!

Join me as I go through 5 quick Easter pet safety tips to help your pet avoid a trip to the emergency vet.

 
 

All things sweet and chocolate

My first tip is to keep all of the chocolate eggs, sweets and other candy safely out of reach of your pet.  The simple reason for this is that chocolate itself can be deadly to both dogs and cats.  Dark chocolate is more poisonous than milk chocolate and the danger of poisoning is even more real if you have a small dog.  It might not take as much as you think for them to become really unwell.

If your dog has got into some filled chocolates like Roses or Quality Street, just bear in mind that they are mostly made of flavored sugar, not chocolate. It is going to take many more than you might imagine to poison your dog, although they may still develop vomiting or diarrhea after tucking into such a sugar-filled treat!

For more information check out my post all about the danger of chocolate poisoning in pets.

Sugar Free is even worse

Chocolate is not the only risk though.  A lot of the sweet things we buy claim to be sugar free or contain reduced sugar and the reason for this is that instead they may contain the sweetener xylitol.  Now xylitol is perhaps one of the most dangerous poisonous foods for dogs and cats.  It only takes a tiny amount to be deadly and it starts working very quickly.

Xylitol causes the body to release a massive amount of insulin, causing blood sugar levels to plummet dangerously low. If your dog survives this, there is then a chance they could go on to develop liver failure.

Check out my post all about xylitol to find out more details. This is one poison you do not want to mess with!

Raisins kill kidneys

Being aware of everything with raisins in it, like hot cross buns, is my Easter pet safety tip number 3.  Raisins can be deadly to dogs.  The big problem is that we don't know exactly how many raisins it will take to be deadly for your dog.  Some dogs will be able to eat loads and other dogs may be fatally poisoned by only a few.

Raisins can damage the kidneys irreversibly.  Once a certain amount of damage has been done then even the best treatment might not be enough to save your dog.

Make sure you check out my separate post all about grape and raising poisoning in dogs if you want to learn more about this common pet poison.

 
 

So do lilies

My fourth Easter pet safety tip is to avoid bringing lilies into the house if you have a cat.  True lilies of the lillium family contain a poison in their leaves, stem, petals and pollen that cause a cats kidneys to fail.  Cat's are pretty good at not eating silly things but just brushing up against the flowers and getting some pollen on their coat may be enough to kill them when they groom themselves.



String means danger

Finally, should you receive an Easter gift containing fake grass or a hamper tied with string, be sure not to let your dog or cat play with it. Both the items can make entertaining toys but, if eaten, have the potential to kill!

They can result in what we know as “linear foreign bodies” that get stuck in the intestine and then effectively cheese-wire their way through. The resulting septic peritonitis has a really poor prognosis. Death is common.

Have a safe and happy Easter

So that's just a quick reminder for some of the dangers our dogs and cats may come across this Easter.  I hope you all have a fantastic few days!

Our Pets Health: because they're family